Sunday, September 6, 2015

Pursing a Life Dream

    Where do I begin... you think by now I would be used to writing introductions for classes, but I'm not. I should really start copying and pasting the same thing, only if that would be appropriate. On the other hand, my story seems to always be changing. Like all of you, I attend UCF, but this is only my third semester here, and I am an Elementary Education Major. I received my A.A at Valencia, and for a while I was lost as what to do next. Yes, this happens, and I have come across many others that have been in this situation. I thought I wanted to be a nurse, yet my mind slowly drifted to the idea of becoming an elementary school teacher. I knew that the only way to see if this was what I wanted to do for my career, I had to volunteer at a school. Luckily, I knew a teacher at a K-8 school that allowed me to volunteer in her class. Let me just say, that was one of the best decisions that I have ever made. I have always enjoyed being around kids, so when I volunteered I felt like I belonged. I continued going to this school to complete my first education observation hours, and the faculty enjoyed having me so much, they offered me a job.
     Now, working with kids every day of the week is not only preparing me for my future. Yet, I am able to take what I am learning in the classroom and combine it with what I am learning in school. The class that I work in work is severely handicapped, it consists of eight students, which are third and fourth graders. Each and everyday is something new, but it's not like any job that I have ever had before. I am able to watch these students learn and adjust to new ideas. Teaching is beneficial to both students and teachers; it is giving your own knowledge to children, and being a role model for some students. 
     Being that, I am pursing a degree in Elementary Education, you are probably wondering why I am in this class with all of you. Well, I have been thinking about my options after I finish my degree, and what I want to do. I am in a classroom now, so I am aware of what takes place, but what about overseas. The countries that strive for education, but there is not enough teachers nor money to support it.  I picked English as a minor, because I want to teach in a country where the children will benefit from it.  I would like to do this for at least a few years, unless I find a country that I never want to leave. After doing this, my ideal career is to teach elementary school, preferably kindergarten. However, who really knows what my future holds, it seems like sometimes it has a mind of its own. Eventually, I know that I am going to make an impact on someone's life.
     Furthermore, I personally believe that life is something that everyone should enjoy, from our careers to our personal lives. The best way to start, is to be happy with the career that we have chosen, and open to the opportunities that it may bring.

 So, now you know my story, what's yours?
  

4 comments:

  1. I love your image! I think that teaching is a noble professional and you have had the opportunity to see firsthand with your job the impact you can make. I have had several friends teacher overseas, but now they have found their way back to the US. The world is wide open to teach though! I am glad you found your way here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tell myself the same thing every time, but I always end up changing things up a bit in the end.
    Teaching, like nursing, is a very rewarding job. My grandmother was a teacher, and most of her kids went off to medical school. You were very fortunate to have such an opportunity to re-evaluate your options, and I am glad to hear how well it worked out for you in the end. All the schools I’ve done service learning in have been very welcoming and I have enjoyed my time in elementary schools considerably. Kids of that age still know how to care about others in a way that middle school students and beyond have forgotten. Maybe it is just how the teachers interact with them, but I definitely treasured my time there. I saved all the Valentine’s Cards my class made me two years ago. The last time I had something like that was when I was in elementary school, and it moved me. Handmade cards are the best. If you go on to teach elementary school, instill an appreciation for arts and crafts… but most of all creativity and compassion.
    Your job now is definitely great experience, and will enhance your perspective now and for the future. I have also considered teaching language abroad, and maybe one day I’ll make it. I know it would be amazing. Not because there would be luxury and privilege, but because I’ve heard the stories of my friends. I’ve talked to people who have taught English in Africa, and Japan. Even though it may be hard, those communities become a new home, and it is just a blessing to be a part of their lives.
    Don’t sell yourself short, I’m sure you’ve already made an impact on many children’s lives. Just by being a positive role model and showing that you care on a regular basis, you’ve made school a better place for them.

    This version of my story is a little vague, but I hope you'll take the chance to think about it too. https://aecorai.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Chelsy!
    I've always wanted to teach abroad as well! I've known a couple people who have done this and they both rave about how much fun it is. I think I would try to teach in an Eastern country because it would be a totally different experience from America. It really seems like you have a passion for education, and although I'm studying to become a middle and high school teacher, I feel like there is a lot more in common than most people think. That's crazy they offered you a job after just volunteering there! I'm interested in what your next post will say!
    -Embree

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Emily,
    I've also given some thought about teaching overseas somewhere. I love to travel and I think the best way to learn is by experiencing other people's points of view. I think there needs to be a class that introduces us to the different options we will have as future teachers. Good luck in pursuing teaching in another country.

    ReplyDelete