Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Part 2 of Teaching Arguements

       After spending my break doing homework the last thing that I wanted to do was open this book again. However, once again I am glad that I did; I really enjoyed the second part of this book. The thing that I found myself interested in most was the fact that it talks about judgements and assumptions. Now, if you are like me I assume more than I like to admit, yet I still do it. The book explains why each one is important to not always go on what you once knew, but to be open to new learning experiences when it comes to new ideas. For example, on page 144 it states "Growing up, we accept the judgements and assumptions of others. Those views become our lenses for seeing and interpreting people, things, and ideas. All of us operate our lives on the basis on these views." As soon as I read this I started to wonder, how can this be changed? Well, it is how we are raised and what warrants guide our conduct throughout our lives. People will continue to make judgements and assumptions, which will lead to arguments or debates. Either way a judgment or assumption is one's opinion, and "the more serious the argument that the more likely definitions will use invoked and defended."

    Overall, I really enjoyed this book and it will be one that I hold onto. It has taught me more than I thought it would, and I look forward to using some of the ideas in my future classroom!


2 comments:

  1. I think your take away is really interesting! I think everyone is guilty of judging others and as a society we should work harder on eliminating this! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judgment is a huge piece of how we see the world. I love that teaching kids about argument that they have an opportunity to resee the world for themselves.

    ReplyDelete